I like to read the blog of another adoptive mother called Our Little Tongginator. This week she had a post called Life Ala Tongginator. She ran across one of those lists of things you should do...
This time it was 100 Things To Do Before Kindergarten.
I wondered how Mighty Mouse would fare on this list so here it is:
1. Go to the zoo: Omaha was the best, but Waco's is really not bad.
2. Visit a farm -Arbor Day and Pumpkin farms.
3. Go on a hike - With all the sight seeing we do on vacations this is a yes. But it was never just jump in the car and go hike. And she gets to hike around in the carrier on dad's back. What a chore.
4. Play with kittens or puppies - I want to say yes but I have no clear memory of this.
5. Catch a frog - toads...in our back yard. And how about petting an alligator?
6. Make a gigantic mess -- And it looks even worse right now. I have refused to go in there for 3 weeks. I'm on strike.
7. Help clean up a gigantic mess - if you want to call it that.
8. Master the monkey-bars -nope
9. Swing high up into the sky all by themselves -Nope = powered by mom
10. Try ice-skating -- no
11. Go sledding --yes
12. Make a snow-man - yes
13. Blow bubbles --
14. Plant seeds and watch them grow --
15. Have a pillow fight -- I hope not.
16. Jump on a big bed -- All.The.Time. Not allowed.
17. Jump on a trampoline or in a bounce house -
18. Hang out in a tent -- Yes. Hope to go camping again soon as its been a couple of years.
19. Spend days at the beach --
20. Build sandcastles --
21. Go fishing -- No
22. Go out on a boat -- Not sure. I think so but it could be the other kids that I KNOW have.
23. Play with blocks and puzzles -- all the time
24. Read the classic picture books- all the time
25. Read a classic chapter book --not yet
26. Check out library books with their own library card -- only on mommy's card
27. Get a passport --
28. Carve a pumpkin -- I think so.
29. Hold a newborn baby (to see how much they've grown) --No
30. Love a special doll or stuffed animal -- Does a blanket count??? It's a serious love affair. I have 6 of them to ensure life stays sane.
31. Bake cookies and cakes - her favorite. She always help make her own Birthday cake - she is sure that is some kind of rule or something.
32. Help plan their own birthday party -- she wishes, she tries
33. Go to the circus -- No - she doesn't like loud noises so this kind of thing is out.
34. Go to a museum on a quiet weekday -- Many times, many cities, many states.
35. Play hide-and-seek -- Every day for the last 4 years. If I'm out of sight, she's seeking.
36. Play a board game -- yes
37. Do nothing whatsoever all day -- as often as possible
38. Try a sport -- Does miniture golf count?? She can play the heck out of some mini-golf.
39. Watch a sporting event -- does track count?
40. Learn to swim -- Although she does not know HOW to swim, we can't keep her out of the water.
41. Be tickled in hysterics -- From day 1
42. Paint and draw as much as desired --
43. Have the use of scissors and glue -- yes
44. Display artworks and other creations around the house -- and everyone else's house she can get her hands on.
45. Learn to use a camera (and keep an album of the results!) -- no
46. Play with clay -- She likes playdough better. Not sure why.
47. Pick flowers -- Blue Bonnets and Primrose every spring in Texas.
48. Climb a tree -- Don't think so.
49. Gaze at the moon and stars -- yes
50. Toast marshmallows -- yes - when camping and at a friend's with a fire pit in the back yard
51. Learn to eat an ice-cream cone - no
52. Watch a sunset- she has no interest, I've tried
53. Learn to write her own name -- yes
54. Learn her address and telephone number -- no
55. Learn her parents' full names -- yes
56. Set the table -- helps
57. Clear the table -- helps
58. Help wash the dishes -- when we will let her - NOT helpful
59. Learn to say their pleases and thank yous and excuse mes --yes
60. Watch fireworks -- no - she doesn't like loud noises
61. Go to the ballet or theater or a puppet show -- only in small, quiet locations
62. Put on a ballet or play or puppet show at home --
63. Face paint -- a favorite
64. Dress up in costumes at will -
65. Learn rhymes and poems and songs by heart -- mostly Bible school stuff
66. Have a dance party -- yes
67. Enjoy friends at preschool and at the park -- preschool no, park yes
68. Invite friends over to play -- Her first play buddy was An-Ling. We really miss her!
69. Get to know grandparents -- Yes.
70. Play with cousins -- Yes.
71. Become attached to a wonderful preschool teacher and/or babysitter - no. Has only tolerated babysitters, church, etc for just over a year.
72. Learn the name of our president - no
73. Know the name of their town, state and country -yes and China too
74. Be familiar with a map of the world.- sort of
75. Listen to music from many different ages and genres -- yes
76. Hear and learn words from a different language -- yes (Chinese)
77. Learn the difference between trash and recycling -- yes
78. Grow their own vegetables -- currently doing so
79. Learn to ride a bike (or try!) - with trainging wheels only.
80. Take a road trip -- too many to count!! South Dakato was really fun!
81. Draw a self-portrait - always
82. Slurp alphabet soup- NO , bad manners
83. Learn to twirl spaghetti on a fork - I wish she would eat spaghetti.
84. Pick apples
85. Star in a home movie - from day 1
86. Learn a magic trick - Stealing the hearts of mommy and daddy at first sight.
87. Try different hair-dos - Well, that requires hair. Hair is a rather new arrival on our scene.
88. Practice writing letters - yes
89. Practice counting to 100 - not that high
90. Make up stories - all the time
91. Send a letter - tried
92. Receive a letter -- Yes. From her Nano and the orphanage director in China
93. Ride on a merry-go-round - don't think so but maybe
94. Give away toys and books to less fortunate children -yes
95. Learn the value of coins and bills - no - its all just money
96. Keep a piggy bank -yes
97. Try a musical instrument
98. Have a heartfelt wish granted -If having a family after being in an orphanage counts.
99. Have a heartfelt wish denied -- For her grandfather to get well.
100. Receive a million (make that a billion) heartfelt kisses and hugs from their parents! -- YOU KNOW IT!! Just look at those lips!