Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Favorite Superbowl Snack

Ok- so I admit that I am not a football fan.  Not that I don't like it -- just don't care. I did a little cheerleading when I was younger so I liked it at that point. But I grew into other things.

And the first half or more of my marriage I was fortunate enough to be married to someone that kept himself so busy that he didn't watch football. That was too long in front of the tv.  Heck, getting him to sit still for a movie wasn't easy either.

But things changed. A remote overseas.  6 years of in and out of the desert.  Well, there's not much you can do during those situations.  And most of the guys DO watch football so there was always that.

Throw in a back injury that keeps him out from underneath the hood of a car now....and you have a reborn football fan.  And even though the son didn't join in on these festivities....the middle daughter did and watched with her dad. And has a rival team even. It gets interesting.

So for the last however many years there was Superbowl Sunday.  And that means snacks.  Most of which are not good for you.

But the favorite in our house is the Nori Roll.



Because we all love sushi.  At least we all love the vegetable sushi. Songbird like the California rolls with crab. Hubs likes several different ones.  I just like the vegetable.  And it really hurts to go out and pay for them as they are expensive!! And the vegetables ones they charge as much as for the exotics!  What???

I can make six or more full rolls for what they charge me for one.

And I'm telling you all this because its not very hard.  It DOES take time.  But making the rice? Easy.  Cutting up your veggies......easy.  Then you have your rolling mat that makes rolling up the nori easy.  Squeeze that sucker to get it all to stick while in the mat and cut into however many pieces you like.  Its that easy.

And there are tutorials all over the internet.

I would recommend you do it with another person.  That makes it go a little faster as one person can roll and one can cut.  And if you are like me and don't have pretty end slices...you just get to eat them as you go. LOL.

I would definitely encourage anyone that likes sushi to give it a try at home. The mat is the only special thing you need.  I've heard of some people using saran wrap....but I've never done that.

And when you are done....

you have the best ever snack.  And trust me....they won't last a full two days even if you use two full packs of papers.  And that makes me feel good when the alternative snacks are fried cheese sticks and other crazy stuff.

So give it a try. And let me know if you do...and how it turned out.

2 comments:

  1. Andy loves sushi, but it has always intimidated me completely. I guess I will have to get brave and attempt it sometime now! Thanks for the wonderful idea - and the breakdown of how to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nori Rolls are still too much like sushi. Fish are meant to be swimming... lol Clint, on the other hand, would do this.

    ReplyDelete