Wednesday, January 13, 2010

She Loves the Snow, Hates Her Face, A Return of Night Terrors and Leg Pains

Maybe. Just maybe. It's not worth it to go out of town for a week.

Which isn't to say I didn't have the best time ever...because I did. How can you go wrong with 11 of your closest friends at an amazing lake house? Really?

But I had to return to the snow. And I don't like snow.

Mighty Mouse, on the other hand, loves the snow. I'm getting a big kick out of how much she really loves playing out in the snow. She has never wanted to be outside so much as now. I have to call her in sometimes because she has been out in it so long. Crazy stuff.

Unfortunately, while I was gone, she began expressing a dislike for her face.

We were prepared for this by the racial identity reading we had to do along with the adoption books we have read. It still was a surprise. I mean really, we are in a more diverse area than we have ever been. She see's many more colors/ethnicitys than ever since we brought her home. I guess it doesn't matter when those other faces aren't Asian.

So we have had 2 conversations in 2 days already about how she wants to change her face. (That she started....I was being a chicken.)

In our first conversation, I asked her what kind of face she would like to have (keeping it low-key). Her answer? A cartoon face. Alrighty then! It will go good with the super power she told her daddy she wants (thanks to a new fascination with X-men). Yes, my daughter wants the super power of shooting flames out her bottom. Explosive farts.

You don't think I could just make that up on my own do you? Geeeesh.

In our second conversation she told me she wants yellow hair. And she doesn't like her black eyes. And she wants a nose. And, mommy, I want to look like you.

Ouch. Guess I'll be spending the next few months trying to figure out how to incorporate more Asian faces in our lives and daily routines. Kind of at a loss at the moment. The FCC here doesn't seem overly active. Not that I think thats the answer...but its a beginning most places.

And for the final cherry on top -- the night terrors are back. With a vengeance. We had to shake her awake just to get her to stop shrieking. For a kid that doesn't like loud noises, she can really belt it out.

And I also have something going on with her that I am at a loss on how to handle. Maybe one of my friends has some advice. MM complains about one specific leg hurting alot. I mean REALLY hurting. Crying. Not being able to go to sleep. Mostly the complaints are later in the day/evening. Its on the side of her shin, not the front or the calf. I had the ped look at her but they were clueless also. We have started feeding her bananna's (especially on gym day), bought good gym shoes and are trying to find some common event or day that it happens with no luck.

Can a 5 year old be experiencing serious growing pains? Could that be it? I can't figure it out. Right now I'm giving her motrin or tylenol right before bed (on the days she complains) but I HATE that.

Suggestions anyone???

4 comments:

  1. I don't know the background is since I just started following your blog but I wonder about what kind of orphanage if any that she was in. I have a friend who has two daughters from China and they both experienced being kept in metal cribs. The one has a scar from where she banged her foot constantly on the bar. The other has no scars but had horrible night terrors and constantly complains of pain in her arms and legs that can't be explained. I wonder if it's a body memory issue. I will keep you in my prayers, this has to be tremendously difficult to face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, she can be having growth pains. But it could also be a lack of magnesium, potassium, and calcium. Given her aversion to so many foods, maybe you could request some good vitamins from her ped. It could be so many different things. I will keep you and her in my prayers. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I don't know. I'm only familiar with growing pains. Hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh autumn, your poor baby girl - who has a beautiful face i'm sure! :( prayers for you guys!

    puts my whole post in a different context, for sure!

    i guess i need to revise my feelings to be case specific!

    ReplyDelete