Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pinterest Project #21

                                 Healthy Detox Soup
Another Pinterest Recipe I tried this month is Healthy Detox Soup from the chez us blog. 

After the wheat feast of November and December, I was feeling pretty sick. This recipe looked like a great way to clean my system up.

The site not only gives you the recipe, it also explains the health benefits of the ingredients you use. Very interesting.

As alway, I made changes. So my version probably wasn't as healthy as their version.

I did not used leeks as the only ones I could find up here looked like they had been stomped on. I used scallions instead.

I also had an older green pepper, a couple of tomatoes and some broccoli I needed to use so they were thrown into the pot also

As I was tasting the soup I was finding it too bland for me -- and I'm one of those that likes bland foods. Maybe it had to do with the type of vegetable broth I used? I'm sure some brands are better than others. I also had a big can of tomato juice in the refridgerator so I ended up dumping most of it in to flavor up the broth some.  LOVED IT.

So I've eaten this for breakfast, lunch and dinner (not all in the same day) and have been very happy with it. I made way too much for only one adult in the house eating it with Hubs away. But I sure feel better since I started using it and cutting out the wheat products. (And then I made spaghetti when I was doing better and got all kinds of sick. I am an idiot.)

If you are looking for a soup to fill you up on veggies and fiber you might want to give this a try. I did find I needed to tweak the broth but otherwise it was great. I will use this recipe again.

Here is the recipe from the chez us blog:


Ingredients
  • 2 medium leeks, cut in half, cleaned well, and cut into small pieces
  • 4 cloves of garlic, crushed into a paste
  • 1 serrano pepper, half of seeds removed, thinly sliced
  • 4 carrots, scrubbed clean, skins on, cut into rough chunks
  • 4 celery stalks, cut into rough chunks
  • 3 small rutabagas, peeled and cut into medium dice
  • 3 small zucchini, diced
  • 8 cups water
  • 3 roma tomatoes, with seeds and skin, diced
  • 2 cups pinto beans, I used dried ones that I cooked before hand, used cooking liquids in soup
  • 2 bunches of kale, thinly sliced
  • 1 juice of 1/2 lemon
  • maldon salt, to taste
  • fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
Instructions
  1. Heat a large pot over medium heat.
  2. Add the leeks, garlic, and serranos.
  3. Sweat over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring often.
  4. Add carrots, celery and the rutabagas. Cook for about 3 minutes.
  5. Add the water, tomatoes and pinto beans, simmer over low heat for at least 30 minutes.
  6. The longer, the better the flavor is.
  7. 15 minutes before serving stir in the kale and zucchini
  8. Cook for 5 minutes.
  9. Stir in lemon juice.
  10. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  11. Serve.
  12. Eat.



No comments:

Post a Comment