Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pinterest Project #20

Living here in a different kind of limbo than we lived the whole last year has given me the oportunity to start trying a bunch of the recipes I had pinned on Pinterest.

This last week I tried Slow Cooker Chicken With Tomatoes and Artichokes  It comes from the Betty Crocker website and I have linked back to the recipe. I am a big fan of artichokes and am always looking for recipes to try. I haven't found a favorite for the Frymark Cookbook yet.

I did make alterations. I only had 2 boneless breasts so I cut them into bite sized pieces instead of leaving them whole. So I decreased the meat by half out of necessity. It was plenty of meat when all was said and done. I have noticed that most recipes we American's use could use less meat. With prices what they are I have been doing this more and more often.

I also used 2/3 the amount of Italian Dressing and the last third I put in Balsamic Vinegar. So I combined their two suggestions in a way.

We also left out the green olives because my family prefers black and we didn't have any.

This smelled heavenly. It tasted pretty good to but it smelled so good the taste almost couldn't compare. LOL.

It has more of a broth than a sauce when you put it over rice. I think we would have liked it a little better with a saucier feel. And that's not a taste issue, more of a texture we prefer.

Both girls ate this. Again, it tasted good but we decided it was not a keeper. I'm thinking we just haven't found that artichoke dish that is a keeper yet. We will keep experimenting.

Here is the recipe from the Betty Crocker Website:


  • PREP TIME15 Min
  • TOTAL TIME4 Hr 45 Min
  • SERVINGS4

     

    4
    bone-in chicken breasts (2 1/2 lb)
    3
    tablespoons fat-free balsamic or Italian vinaigrette dressing
    1
    teaspoon Italian seasoning
    1/2
    teaspoon salt
    1/4
    teaspoon pepper
    1/2
    large onion, thinly sliced (1 cup)
    1/4
    cup sliced green olives
    4
    cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1
    can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
    1
    can (14 oz) quartered artichokes, drained
    2
    to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    • 1Spray 3- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Remove skin and any fat from chicken. Brush chicken with dressing; place in cooker. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Top with remaining ingredients except parsley.
    • 2Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 hours 30 minutes to 5 hours 30 minutes.
    • 3Skim off any fat from top of mixture in cooker. Serve chicken and tomato mixture in shallow bowls; sprinkle with parsley.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment