Monday, December 20, 2010

6 Years Ago Today


We were standing in the Civil Affairs office in Guangzhou China.

We were nervous. We were excited.

We were wondering if this was even real.

We had that picture. Oh that picture. The chubby cheeks. The sweet little bow mouth. The chubby looking legs and arms.

Our travel mates were nervous too.

It was a small group of just two families from our agency. Chaos was at a minimum even though emotions were running very high.

And in walked Ms. Tangs assistant, Michelle.

Your name was called out and I walked forward.

And Michelle placed the tiniest, skinniest little 7 1/2 month old baby in my arms.

I was in total shock.

I did not even recognize you.

Where was the baby from the picture????

There were no chubby cheeks. No chubby arms or legs.

Just those eyes and that little bow mouth.

And the smallest almost 8 month old baby I had ever seen.

Weighing in at LESS than 12 pounds.

(You must understand that I gave birth to 9.4 and 8.15 lb babies. They hit 12lbs by 3 months easy.)

Running through my head was the thought that this was not a baby ... it was a doll! I really was shocked.

And then you looked at me.

And you frowned, leaned forward, and reached for the red hair.

As you were reaching, you looked over into my eyes.

And froze.

And threw your hands back and arched your back to put distance between us.

And that is how our story begins my Mouse.

One of the greatest love stories of my life.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! She was just beautiful!!! Of course, you've got me in tears. So many people have such amazing adoption referral/meeting day stories in December. We are all so blessed to have such wonderful Christmas memories FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Mouse -
    I remember waiting for months with your mama through the Yahoo group. I remember when she got your referral and then the day you were placed in her arms. You and your waiting "cousin" were none too happy with the mamas that had been assigned to ya'll. But God had been working on your mama and me to create the parents you and my youngest needed. Bless you, little one. You are growing into such an awesome young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After several weeks "off" in blogland, I think it is appropriate that I come back today, for this post. Your little mouse is the reason I found you. I am so very glad that God led you to her. I am still trusting that He will lead me to my children, and I will be so glad for your wisdom when He does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How absolutely beautifully written! And what a lucky little lady to have you as a mom!! thank you for sharing your story...I feel all warm inside and want to hug my children and count my blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just stumbled upon your blog and the beginning of your life with mouse is just beautiful! I can't wait to come back and read more :-)
    Greetings from South Africa, a Dutch family with adopted twins from Thailand... always on the move.

    ReplyDelete