Friday, December 14, 2012

A Pinterest Recipe Or Pinterest Project #18

Where we are staying is pretty far from most shopping and other things. We are inbetween Hot Springs and Little Rock. Any trip to either town is pretty much an all day affair since you don't make the trip very often with the price of gas.

Crockpot meals are perfect for those days. I did bring my family cookbook with me and had my cookbook software....which all of a sudden no longer works, so I am short on crockpot recipes.

Sounds like the perfect Pinterest project 18 right? I dug up a crockpot recipe from my recipe board to try. So here you have it:

Slow Cooker Green Chicken Chili with Kale

This pin came from a blog called Nourishing Days.  I have linked to the pages so you can go read the original post.

Slow Cooker Green Chicken Chili with Kale

Ingredients
2 cups dried great northern beans, soaked for 24 hours in plenty of water
1 large onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
8 cups chicken stock
1 Tablespoon cumin
1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, depending on your taste
2 (4.5 oz) cans green chilis, chopped
2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
1 bunch of kale, leaves stripped from the stalks and chopped
sea salt to taste
creme fraiche or sour cream for serving
Directions
Drain and rinse the soaked beans. Place beans in slow cooker (at least 4 1/2 quart size). Add onions, garlic, a good pinch of salt, cumin, cayenne and chicken stock to beans. Simmer the beans with this mixture in the slow cooker for 5 hours, or until tender.
Mix in the green chilis and chicken and simmer for another 2 hours. Thirty minutes before serving stir in the chopped kale. Taste for seasoning and adjust flavors with sea salt if needed (this will depend on whether or not your stock was salted).
Garnishes can include dollops of sour cream, sliced scallions and cilantro.

I really liked this recipe...but my kids were not thrilled. But if you know my kids this wouldn't surprise you. LOL. 
So if you are looking for a recipe to use your green chile this might appeal to you. I think I would use more kale next time as I liked the texture and extra green flavor it gave.
Now go check out Nourishing Days as its a great blog with great recipes.

2 comments:

  1. Try this one. It is really good!

    http://pinterest.com/pin/566820303070582791/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete