Saturday, June 7, 2008

Autumn asks: Are the gas prices changing the way you do things?

Gas prices are killing me!! In Omaha we lived in a perfect little area where everything was close. You could even walk to most of them if you so chose. Also, with the bike paths you could ride - even better!

This last week saw me ordering my niece's birthday gift BECAUSE THE SHIPPING PRICE WAS PRETTY MUCH THE SAME AS WHAT IT WOULD HAVE COST ME TO RUN INTO TOWN! Is that not insane? A trip to church and back in DH's Durango is $4. No kidding. It's not THAT far. Going into town and back, $5 at least. Shoot, I thought, why burn the gas...I'll just order the thing! And what was really cool is that the Toys R Us is having a big sale so I was able to get both things I wanted to instead of just one thing. Now if I could have found an online coupon I would have been very self satisfied indeed.

We've cut back on groceries also. Not the meals so much, but the extra's. Name brand is a thing of the past...not that we bought much name brand to begin with on our budget. I go into town less if at all possible. I'm sure it is isolating people on limited budgets by keeping them at home. And yet we are still in the top 10% wealthiest of all people of the world. Sobering.

A friend sent me this neat link on finding the Bible verse that goes with your birthday. Pretty neat, check it out: http://www.birthverse.com/mybirthverse.cfm Mine is 1 Corinthians 10:24 NIV
Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.

Still doing well on our activity each day. I am taking the weekends off as its too expensive AND that is generally chore or family time anyways. We did a neat thing on Thursday that I'll tell about later. On Friday Mighty Mouse and I went to a play date with her friend Madi. We tye-dye t-shirts with them. Mighty Mouse's turned out really neat. I had the kit sitting up in a closet for years and years and decided to use it.

Last night saw Songbird having her sleepover with 2 of her friends. It was a little loud around here. We don't do birthday parties so we let her have a sleepover instead (no gifts - don't get me started on the abuses of birthday parties/gifts now-a-days!).

I'm worn down, tired and uninspired this weekend for some unknown reason. We have successfully made it through day 3 of the Couple's Who Pray. It's been really neat. More on that a little farther down the road.


4 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I am done with school and the class they made me take! Hooray! Now I can start finishing unpacking. Wow, do I have a lot to do.
    I enjoy reading your articles and thoughts.
    I looked up my bible verse. I am forwarding that to a couple of my groups and lots of people I know.
    My verse is
    Ecclesiastes 3:11 NIV
    He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from the beginning to end.
    I love it!
    I am so glad we get to stay in contact and talk. We all miss you and your family also. I wish we would have known each other longer.
    Kids are in Omaha now and An Ling is doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad school is over for you Mary. The best part of our friendship was that it was a package deal! The guys liked each other, C and Meagan, An Ling and A. It was great. You never find enough family friendships in life. We really miss you guys too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh cool! I love that birth verse link. Do you mind if I post it on my blog and link back to you? Also your scrapbook page is very cool.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete