Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Because a Girl Can Dream....


The political climate right now is insane.

Its devastatingly sad.

Because I remember a time when different beliefs were an American icon. They were something to celebrate. They were a reason to consider America great.

Now its the nastiest hate fest imaginable.

You can't go on fb without reading how you are the most vile of persons from your own circle of friends if you have a different view.  The ugly names are flat out shocking. You wonder if they really feel that way about you.  And it makes you a little sick...because we are all so much more than this issue or that one.  Do my friends really think that of me because we disagree on that one subject? 

And I've become convicted on this subject in my own life and regret any of this behavior I may have participated in. I bitterly regret it. Its wrong.

How did this happen?

And I'm sure you have seen both sides post how if it wasn't for this group we wouldn't have this...and vise versa.

YES!!! But not in the way its meant. 

The truth is all parties and sides have given us great programs and laws and privileges. No one school of thought has a corner on that market.  Its the combination of all groups contributing that makes this the most amazing country.  Or did.

And even though I didn't vote for our current president, I did hold the hope in my heart that he was what he said.......change and transparency.

A girl can dream. And I did. I hid my crossed fingers behind my back in the circles that didn't vote for him and hoped and prayed that it was all true. And I was disappointed. Its all more of the same old thing that we need to get rid of, to me.  But that's MY opinion and I don't go shouting it at people that feel differently. (should I add anymore there?)

And I'm so so tired of character assassination. From all sides. From anyone.  

I want to hear about the issues.....not the mud slinging. 

I personally have believed things and changed my mind. I have done bad things and had to atone for them. I have made uneducated decisions and been educated. Its all a part of living and growing up in this life.  I have never been nor do I strive to be perfect - because its not even possible. And I don't expect perfection from anyone else either. Not even our political candidates. They can all make mistakes and they can all change their minds on issues.  As long as they are sincere in that I will not ridicule them for it. I will not start a smear fest. I will not murder their good name.

What I'd really like to know is what will it take for regular American's to step off of this hate fest? What will it take? Someone else going first? Well, I'll go first. I'm stepping off this bad behavior. I will listen to other views that are stated in respectful ways. I might not ever agree, but I will agree to disagree with style and grace. Because THAT is American. 

Of course that will probably just make me an even bigger target, but I'm ok with that. I've never fit into any box neatly anyways. I'm always the odd man out in any gathering of people.  And even that is ok.

And I'll hope and dream a little more this year. Not about a candidate...but about the people relearning to treat each other with respect even when they disagree. 

Because a girl can dream.





3 comments:

  1. Well said Autumn! We've had lots of disagreements about things in our years and I don't think there was ever mud slinging. And I still consider you my best friend walking on the planet. Even if we disagree about something - that's the best thing about real friends. Love ya girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook frustrates me. I try not to post on there much anymore, because honestly I'm sick of all the things you mentioned.

    The nastiness towards each other just because of different views and opinions is disgusting. It's pretty sad to see what this country and the world in general has become.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you already know I am a FB avoider. But I think I am in danger of becoming a real life avoider. I am going to have to be careful.
    You are so right that no one is perfect. Especially in the changing their mind thing. I suppose that part is one of the most frustrating for me - not knowing if they are going to change their mind over and over. So, thanks for pointing out that everyone changes their mind sometimes. I needed that.
    You are a blessing to me Autumn. And I have no idea if our political views match! I'm just glad to hear that you agree that ugly language doesn't accomplish anything.

    ReplyDelete